At the design phase of Kozloduy NPP, a power plant operating WWER type of reactors of proven operational reliability, potential emergency situations were analysed and all the necessary measures have been taken to prevent their occurrence. Despite the low probability of their occurrence, the power plant has planned the following:
- administrative and legal relations between the on-site and off-site emergency response teams;
- organisational and technical measures and tools needed to maintain the operability of the emergency response teams;
- organisational measures and human resources needed for implementation of measures and tasks specified in regulatory documents as well as for protection of the personnel and the public;
- ensuring the finances and logistics for the emergency response teams and the personnel;
- criteria for establishing, implementation and cancelling of measures for protection of the personnel and the public in case of a nuclear or radiological emergency;
- measures to prevent contamination of the environment.
The organisational and technical measures are stipulated in the Emergency Response Plan, developed in compliance with the national legislation and with the requirements of the International Atomic Energy Agency and the World Association of Nuclear Operators.
In order to maintain the preparedness of the personnel to respond to potential emergency situations, emergency drills and exercises are conducted at Kozloduy NPP on a yearly basis, which verify and enhance preparedness of the emergency teams and the personnel. The drills allow exercising the coordination for implementation of joint actions between the plant emergency teams and the following organisations:
- Management of the regional emergency response organisations of Kozloduy and Mizia municipalities;
- Fire Safety and Public Protection Regional Directorates for Vratsa and Montana;
- On a national level – the Nuclear Regulatory Agency, the Fire Safety and Public Protection General Directorate at the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Energy, etc.
Protective measures and rules for conduct of population in case of increased radioactivity
Măsurile de protecţie şi regulile de comportare a populaţiei in caz de radioactivitate ridicată (român)